Saturday, January 14, 2012

Translation and a Half

It's hard to explain but I do enjoy the thrilling sensation of being in a foreign land. I love immersing myself in a totally different culture. I admit that sometimes I still have to try and figure out a lot of things, but I think everything will eventually seem normal to me. I just need a little bit of time. Give me a month or two from now and I'll blend in perfectly.
Walking in town yesterday made me feel a little bit awkward because I know nothing of the language just yet, but at the same time I was ecstatic for I know that I was putting myself out there to experience the buzz of being in a crowd of tourists and locals - wanting so bad to get my point across to the people I was talking to (using my "poquito" Spanish) as I asked for directions on how to get to a place or when I ordered food at the tapa bar. (And you're right. I sure did butcher the language, but I got some nods and winks from some locals for trying my best to speak their language.)
There's one thing I noticed about the Spaniards. They are very warm and friendly and they do not believe in what Americans always want to have - personal space. A hug or a kiss is customary when greeting someone here. (The first time a guy we met grabbed my shoulders and planted kisses on my cheeks, my hubby and I were totally flabbergasted by his action because I was not expecting such from someone I barely knew. But apparently, that's common here.) Indeed, personal space is something that someone would eventually learn to set aside while living in Spain. Hey, when in Rome, do what the Romans do. Don't get me wrong, I have no hang-ups when it comes to that. In the PI where I lived my twenty six years, it was pretty much the same thing. Come to think of it, Spain and the PI have so many values and traditions that are very much the same. Geez, I wonder why.
I know one thing - every single day I have this constant desire to scrape something from Spain - something new and something wonderful. I do not even mind it that I am most of the time lost in translation.

No comments:

Post a Comment